Main menu

Pages

To Bully or to Be Bullied That Is the Question

To Bully or to Be Bullied That Is the Question kids and teens

The rise of kids and teenage victims due to bullying at schools disturbs me. I do wonder if there are adult enablers that encourage bad behaviour at schools, where the bad kids or the bullies are protected as a way to put fear into the other kids. Is there any reason why another kid should have the audacity to terrorize his or her fellow mate who should be seen as equal? Why are kids carrying guns to protect themselves? Is there a need for a rise in violence if this can be addressed at schools?


The mentality evident to me in the school playground or classroom has left me thinking. I do ask myself, "If I were a kid being bullied, how would I react to a bully?" I will tell you what I believe should occur. In a perfect world and with my adult wisdom, I would report the bully to the teacher. The next step would be that the teacher, in her or his professional capacity, would caution the bully.

I was actually bullied when I was in elementary school and I did report it to the teacher. The only action taken was that my teacher wrote in my report card that I was childish. Could this be what is still happening at the schools today?

We have all been kids or teenagers at some point; some of us are even parents to kids and teenagers and we know how secretive some of them can be. They do not want to show weakness, but it's not difficult to detect a kid with troubles. There are signs to look out for; like not wanting to go to school, not excited about school, complaining of health issues like stomach upsets and headaches.

As the saying goes, "If you cannot beat them you join them." This is how the initiation starts and a good child becomes a bad child, skipping school, doing drugs. It is an ongoing cycle. It is surprising to see what can come out of being bullied.

Every child deserves an equal chance. Every kid learns differently, one may master a problem in one day, it may take the other 3 days but on the fifth day they have both mastered the problem
As adults we need to sit down with our kids and have a chat. Figure out together how this problem can be solved

Let's figure out how we can instill the positive values and skills we want our kids to have so they don't feel the need to resort to violence.

I, Elizabeth, Ngozi Mbonu, recently wrote a book titled "Tatiana" just to encourage and to fill our kids with so much light and strength that they can look a bully in the eye and say, "Not this one."

Every kid learns differently, one may master a problem in one day, it may take the other 3 days but on the fifth day they have both mastered the problem

Comments