Main menu

Pages

Encouraging Your Children To Be Creative Through Writing

Encouraging Your Children To Be Creative Through Writing kids and teens

I am an 8-time published author who was fortunate enough to be raised by a mother who set no limits on what life could offer her. I was encouraged to draw, write, sing, act and go after every dream in which I found excitement and wonder. What a gift!

Children will see life as an amazing array of open doors, or one of closed-off opportunities and limits. The difference in their perspective comes from the people in their early years who they see as authoritative and powerful: parents, teachers, family members, peers, etc. If they are taught that life is a plethora of creative opportunities and handed the tools to begin that creative process, the world becomes an amazing place filled with magic and fulfilled dreams.

Too often children are raised believing life is only to be endured. It may not be said in words within the home but they pick up the signals in their parent's constant talk of unpaid bills, broken cars, disappointing jobs and unhappy lives. Do we really want our children to begin life fearing it, or feeling there is a ceiling over their heads that they can never penetrate? Life has no limits. None! Our creative minds have the keys to create a lifetime of happiness and abundance.

I began writing when I was eight years-old. I began drawing at the same time. My mother encouraged my creative interests by keeping me supplied with paper, pencils, art books and an easel. From an early age I was writing stories of mystery and fantasy. She dutifully sat and listened to what were some very lame attempts at short stories, but always smiled and said they were wonderful and to keep going. I did. The stories became more polished over the years. I have a file cabinet stuffed with old manuscripts that date back to my youth.

Today, to see my books published through traditional publishing houses and through my own self-publishing efforts is a thrill I can't define. I have also, to date, painted over 3,000 murals all across the country. My mother passed away in 2008 and her support, enthusiasm and love are missed in my life everyday. To give your child the gift of imagination and words of encouragement that say "You can do this! I believe in you!" is a very priceless present.

Encourage your children to be creative. It will impact every area of their lives. They will learn to think outside the box, engineer new opportunities, go after their dreams and live a life that serves them and brings them happiness. Creative people never settle for others' limitations or walls.

Give your child a journal and encourage them to write down their experiences: at home, at play, at school. Tell them to invent a character that gets into all kinds of interesting situations, and then have them find a way out of those challenges. 

This teaches them at an early age to be problem solvers and inventive. Give them a drawing pad and pencils so they can illustrate their work. 

Never criticize their words or art. You can shut down the joy very quickly by being too perfectionistic. Their craft will improve on its own. Give them the freedom to express themselves in their own way. They will have plenty of people channeling their thoughts when they are in school. There is no wrong way to express yourself in art. Van Gough is a case in point.

Those little minds that have been entrusted to you, look to you for their GPS in this world. Teach them all roads are open and detours are only opportunities to see other sights. And... coloring inside the lines is optional.

Rebecca F. Pittman is a motivational speaker, TV Talk Show Host and author. Her latest book, T.J. Finnel and the Well of Ghosts, is a children's novel geared to the middle grade market through adult, and has been compared to Fablehaven and Harry Potter. The sequel is due out Spring of 2015. This is book one of a five-book series.

Comments