Main menu

Pages

Kids and Teens ( Through the Windows )

Kids and Teens ( Through the Windows )

Through the Windows

 

Me (to my class): Guys, are you done copying from the board?
Kids: Nooo... !
Me: OK, fast! Take two more minutes, so that I can erase it off and move on.
Pravin: Didi, can I...
Me: No! (I almost snapped, cutting him off. I didn't even let him finish his sentence).
Pravin: Didi, please? My writing is finished. (This time, with a puppy face).
Me: No, I am not letting you go near the windows. Read something if you don't have anything to do. But be seated on your own place.

He nodded with a sad face.
So, Pravin is a super enthusiastic student in my class. My class is divided into five teams and he is one of the team leaders and simply loves to make me happy with his hard work. His grasping power is good. And he's one of the few students who motivate me to come to school every day. I love teaching him. He has a curious nature and I love the fact that he's so inquisitive. He never waits for anyone, and always shows urgency in finishing his class work. And oh! He loves looking through the windows. He never misses a chance to go near the windows and peep outside.

There was this one day when I was showing my kids an inspiring video from the London Olympics. It was a 4 minutes' video that showed Oscar Pistorius (the blade runner) running in a 400 m race. As Pravin watched the video, I couldn't miss his expressions. He was amazed. He raised his hand the instant the video got over.

I knew he was holding his breath to spell something out.

"Yes, Pravin?", I signaled him to start.


"Didi, I want to share something with the class."

"Please go ahead", I said.

"Oscar did not win the race, but still he ran. He has no legs, but he didn't give up. He ran till the end. And the winner of the race came up to him and shook hands with him."

"Yeah. That's some observation. So what do you think you learnt from this video?" I asked.
"I learnt about grit" he said.

'Grit' happens to be one of our class values. And the way he connected the video to this value was amazing. He gave me an assurance that the value education I was imparting wasn't going waste.

Well, this is one of the many typical 'Pravin' incidents. He keeps on asking me questions. "Didi, what is Chennai Express?", "Didi, why do hunters hunt animals in the jungles?", "Didi, what is the difference between a dam and a river?"... His questions never end! His curious nature knows no limits.

Maybe that's why he hates being inside the classroom. The walls don't cheer him up. The windows do! Because he gets to know and learn what's happening outside. It took me a while to fathom his 'windows possession.' But now I know.

I am trying my best to open more doors for him...



Comments