Main menu

Pages

A Boy's Will Is the Wind's Will

A Boy's Will Is the Wind's Will

Alone With a New Grandson

Little Ben and I are having a staring contest. He will win. Nobody in the world can outlast the stare of a two-month old baby. I wonder, for the upteenth time, what is going on in his head. Is he thinking anything at all?

The lines of a poem by Henry Wadsworth poem pop serendipitously into my head.

"A boy's will is the wind's will and the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts."

Most of us adults assume that the thoughts of a tiny baby are pretty well fixed on survival stuff.
"Will someone please feed me or change my diaper or pick me up?" But maybe we are the ones who are short sighted.

In many ways we are all mysteries to one another. Could it be that this little tot is already sizing us up?
"Hmm! This face sure looks different from Mom. His voice is deeper too. What the hey, he's making funny faces at me. Now that's a kick."

"He's holding me kind of awkward. Looks like he hasn't held a baby for a while. But he does smile a lot. He seems to enjoy being with me."

"I wonder a lot about stuff. Like, how come someone pulled me out of that sweet warm place where I used to be? Well, it was getting a bit cramped in there and I have to admit that I was getting restless."

Now that I find myself in this new world, I've got to figure out where do I go from here. What did that old guy say?" "A boy's will is the wind's will and the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts.?" I gotta think about that one. Not sure what it means but then again I'm not a youth yet.

Maybe long thoughts are sort of like dreams. You know what I mean? Like they have no boundaries, no limits. It figures that long thoughts would come natural to kids. The minds of children are wide open to possibilities. Yea, I want to have those long thoughts, ideas and visions that pierce the sky.

Uh! Oh! That old dude is challenging me to another staring contest. Well, I'm in no hurry to grow up anyway. There's lots of friendly people around me, taking care of me. I guess I'll wait a while before I start thinking those long, long thoughts.

The author finds himself babysitting and liking it. He is the author of many books including "Grandpa To a Children's Village" and "Figuring It Out as I Go along." He is also a spiritual adviser at the Sonoma County (CA) Juvenile Hall

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Hank_Mattimore

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9154687

 

Comments